Mike Dewar MA, CSCS, USAW2
Founder, Weightlifting Director, and Online Fitness Writer
Mike holds a Masters in Applied Physiology from Columbia University and a Bachelors in Exercise Science from Bowling Green State University. He is an accredited Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCAS CSCS) from the National Strength and Conditioning Association and an Advanced Sports Performance Coach from USA Weightlifting (USAWL2).
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA CSCS)
- Advanced Sports Performance Weightlifting Coach (USAWL2)
- Sports Performance Weightlifting Coach (USAW)
- Performance Director at Union Square Barbell Club (2015-Present)
- Precision Nutrition Coach (Pn1)
- Masters in Applied Physiology: Columbia University (2012)
- Bachelors in Exercise Science: Bowling Green State University (2010)
- New York University: Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (2016-Present)
- Bowling Green State University: Strength and Conditioning Intern (2010)
- Perrysburg High School: Football Coach (2008-2010)
Mike began his strength coach career in 2010 as an intern strength and conditioning coach for Division 1 Athletics at Bowling Green State University. Mike moved to NYC to pursue his Masters, in which he conducted clinical research at New York Presbyterian Hospital, studying the effects of exercise on muscle metabolism and physiology in pre and post lung transplant recipients. Upon graduation in 2012, Mike began training throughout NYC, in addition to starting a strength and wellness blog, J2FIT.com.
Shortly after, Mike Barbot and Mike formed officially formed J2FIT, a strength and conditioning training brand, offering personal training, online caching, and education content. As up and coming fitness professionals in New York City, Mike became a sponsored ReebokONE Fitness Professional and provides various tips and coaching content for strength coaches and athletes around the globe.
Today, Mike is a:
- Sponsored ReebokONE Fitness Ambassador
- Staff Writer on Barbend.com
- Featured Author on BreakingMuscle.com, specializing in Olympic weightlifting, strength training, fitness businesses.
- Owner of TheBarbellCEO.com, a website geared towards fitness enthusiast, entrepreneurs, and personal growth.
- Co-Founder and co-host on "The Fitness League Podcast", a brand and show dedicated to the exploration and explanations of all things fitness.
- Head Olympic weightlifting coach at ReebokONE CrossFit Union Square, a premiere training facilities in NYC, and one of the few locales to train exclusively with Eleiko platforms and weights.
In Mike’s free time, you can catch him training hard for:
- Olympic weightlifting (personal competition best of 258kg total; 118kg / 260lbs snatch and 140kg / 308lbs clean and jerk in the 94kg weight class). Personal all-time training lifts of 118kg /260lbs snatch and 141kg/310lb clean and jerk
- Powerlifting (personal best of 1,200lb total: 410lbs squat, 282lbs bench press, and 501lbs deadlift in the 83kg / 182lbs weight class)
- Strength sports and other fitness competitions.